Tuesday 15 December 2015

6 - Mock Interview

I decided to try a mock interview with a close friend whom I have worked with in the past professionally when performing and workshop leading:

I explained what I was doing and that I was writing out her answers and she was more than happy to answer my questions -

1. What is your role at work?

Acting Course leader for  - BTEC Performing Arts Subsidiary Diploma Acting

2. How do you feel about the arts in education?

Great way for students to build key transferable skills to help them to achieve in other areas - for example employability skills; communication, customer service, presentation etc..

As I teach BTEC Performing Arts - I see a role for Drama as an academic subject in the curriculum.

3. Do you feel students that under achieve academically can flourish more in arts subjects?

I believe it can help build confidence and self-esteem to help students to believe in themselves and voice their own opinions.

4. Do you think "the arts" should be compulsory in all education settings from pre school up to 6th form?

I think it should be compulsory up to secondary.

5. How do you feel creative thinking helps students?

Helps them to think around a subject, see it from different points of view.

6. Why do you feel some students gain more than others from creative learning?

Confidence, if the student doesn't have confidence to explore/experiment - they will find it hard to think creatively.

7. Do you think the arts award programme or something similar where you document your arts learning journey should be rolled out to all education settings as an option?

Yes I think it would be useful as an option.

8. Are the arts seen as a dumping ground for students that want an easy subject?!

Not in my sector.

9. How have times changed for the way in which the arts are taught?! Has discipline change or societies way of learning?

In my 6th form discipline within the arts space isn't really an issue - it's more getting them to hand work in on time and attendance which I feel is not a new problem. This was the same 15 years ago.

Sometimes my students come in with poor literacy/time management skills - but this is something I embed into my course to help students address these areas.

I feel that the attention span of students has changed over the last 10 years due to the internet. Teaching used to be more lecture based in 6th form where as I deliver short, sharp, active tasks to keep my students engaged!

10. How do you feel about experienced practitioners teaching without "teacher status". Should this matter if they have the knowledge?

I think if it delivered as an extra-curricular subject and not exam based (GCE/GCSE/BTEC) experienced practitioners are more than able to deliver the material - Experience within the industry is more important, but teachers have skills with regards to lesson planning, assessment for learning etc... which is needed for examined courses.


 
Doing a mock interview was very interesting - I kept wanting to interject and add more unplanned questions but decided against it for this mock however I may do another to see if the flow is the same. When reflecting back I found that some of my questions could be looked at as leading - looking for a certain answer so in future I need to be more careful in my wording/phrasing. I enjoyed doing a face to face interview and liked the personal touch.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Andrea - adding questions is okay if it helps the interviewee - you might bring out points or ask for clarifications or more detailed explanations - people are so interesting - often interviews are fantastic because they bring out ideas - did you find that?

    ReplyDelete