Tuesday 15 December 2015

5a Ethics - Initial thoughts

Looking back over my journal I am now posting my first list I made in relation to Ethics in the work place:
  • DBS check - it is important to have your clearance to put parents minds at ease although this is not compulsory in all teaching private dance/drama class settings.
  • Insurance - to cover both your students and yourself against accidents/injuries.
  • Up to date qualifications - times changes/ideas change - teaching should keep up to date!
  • Confidentiality - it is important not to discuss other students personal/private information.
  • Age appropriate lessons - the work you teach must be correct for the students (physically, mentally,emotionally).
  • Appropriate costumes for shows - teachers should be aware of how students dress in their shows as this can reflect on the teacher and how self concious the students are.
  • Rehearsal/study/fee time balance - in the busy school I work at it is very easy for us to get caught up in rehearsals but we have to remind ourselves that the students need relaxation time and of course study time in the evenings.
  • First aid consent - I make all of my dance school parents sign to say I can administer first aid and they sign to say if their child has allergies.
  • Photo/Video consent - Again my schools parents sign for this and if I am posting anything on the web I ask their permission before doing so.
  • Personal/medical information - when doing physical activity and being in my care I need to know certain details about students but of course this is only shared with other teachers and medical staff.
  • Appropriate dress for the environment - if attending a school function I would not turn up in my jazz pants and ballet shoes. On the other hand I need to be dressed so I can move correctly  in class.
  • Strict no smoking/drugs/alcohol policy - non of these are allowed!!!
  • Physical contact with students - in my personal opinion you cannot teach dance and drama without a mutual agreement that there will be appropriate contact between students and teachers. There needs to be a trust that parents or children can openly say if they dont feel comfortable but I feel some contact if necessary in order to correct students and improve their skills for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment