Friday 13 March 2015

Facebook points on professional issues of dance teaching!!

I have just been reading some posts on a dance teachers facebook group regarding dance teaching and professional practice. Three interesting points that were brought up were  -

1. other dance classes being brought into the venue you use
2. teachers working without qualifications from recognised dancing bodies
3. attend more than one dance school

How do people feel about these points??

1. I run my own classes from a local church hall. I would find it extremely unprofessional and rude for another teacher to set up that same classes as me in the same venue. I have heard of this happening more and more.

2. I think that it is ok for people to teach general 'dance' classes as long as they are free work classes or show classes without being linked to a dance organisation. However many people say they are qualified when this isn't the case....this can lead to uninsured teachers... students with injuries and parents confused about what good teaching practice is.

3. I have found over the years that if you attend one dance school then you shouldn't attend another and many teachers don't allow this!! I have taught many girls who have asked if they can attend another school on a Saturday as I don't run classes for them on this day and I always recommend good schools and say of course as long as they are honest about this then I am happy for them to attend other classes.

So please let me have your opinions on these issues/topics :)

2 comments:

  1. Good reflection here Andrea - does this relate to 2d - your interests that could inform future inquiry planning? It also relates to the ethical practice for for Module 2 - so again - thinking around context and professional practice. Keep in there - all there parts of Module can be viewed as one stream... any more for Part 2 refection - did any ideas in the Reader 2 make sense - networking - again this blog relates to that too e.g. "I have just been reading some posts on a dance teachers facebook group ". Bw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andrea, just been having a scan over people's blogs because been thinking about ethical issues of dance teaching too. I'm soon to be moving away to Dubai to teach around 20 hrs/week at a dance school there. I can teach ISTD, but I won't be as the school doesn't run that syllabus, so all of my classes will be free. Seemed a bit weird to me at first, and lacking structure. But, what will happen is I will have to create a termly syllabus for the children in each class. What do you think of it? Seems to me like a lot of work that they will be getting from me. But, I am excited as I can make the classes really into what I want. But it comes back to your point of ethincal practice. IfI had no teaching qualifications, but I was insured and had dance experience, there is nothing to stop me running dance classes. Do you think this is ethical if you aren't registered by a teaching body?
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete